Sunday, July 29, 2012

Puff Pastry Baklava


When I was in graduate school we had a guest speaker in class who happened to own a Moroccan restaurant. The topic he spoke on was unrelated to his business but he brought huge pieces of baklava for us. It was, without a doubt, the best baklava I have ever eaten. Maybe the best dessert I've ever eaten. I eat some kind of dessert almost every day, so that's saying something. It's at least in the top five desserts of my life.  I love honey, nuts, and pastry, so of course I would love baklava. If it's on the menu at a restaurant or I see it at a bakery I have to order it. 

But until last night I never tried to make it. I have cooked with phyllo dough before and didn't find it too difficult, but baklava seemed so complex. I was sure I'd mess it up. Certainly lots of bakeries and restaurants  make terrible baklava. I didn't want to waste the nuts, which are expensive, if I was going to make something that wasn't very good. 

Last night I was thinking about baking something and happened to come across a picture of baklava on pinterest. I remembered that I had a package of phyllo dough in the freezer and decided to take the plunge.  I was getting really excited to try and had found a bunch of tips on how to make great crispy layers. Then I opened the freezer and discovered that what I actually had was puff pastry dough. It was basically the worst tragedy to ever befall anyone. 



So as I always do in my time of need, I turned to the internet for guidance. I googled "puff pastry baklava" and found several recipes. I ended up using the pastry as a base and top with only nuts in the middle. This made it less crispy and flaky than traditional baklava but beggars can't be choosers.  So here is what I made, with inspiration from The Hazel Bloom, Bon Appetit, and NEONWILLIE's recipe at allrecipes. The reviews on that last recipe, in particular, are helpful. I learned that I should make the syrup before baking the baklava and then let it chill in the fridge before drizzling it over the finished pastry, which will help it be crisp. I also got some good tips for when I try to make it with phyllo dough. I also learned to cut through only 3/4 of the way before baking and adding the syrup, which will help the syrup absorb without just sitting in the bottom of the pan. 


Puff Pastry Baklava

1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 cups water
2 cinnamon sticks
3/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 split and seeded vanilla bean)
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

1 1/2 cups pistachios
1 1/2 cups walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon

1 box (two sheets) puff pastry, defrosted

Combine the sugar and water over medium-high heat. Boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Add cinnamon sticks, honey, vanilla, and lemon juice. Simmer until thickened, about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then place in fridge. 


While the syrup is cooking, toast the nuts for 10 minutes in 350 degree oven. Let cool a little, then chop finely.  Combine with 1 tsp cinnamon and set aside. 

Butter the sides and bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Unfold the defrosted puff pastry. Roll out to fit pan (you shouldn't have to stretch it out too much).  Lightly brush the top of the pastry with butter.  Spread the nut mixture over the pastry.



 Top with the second sheet. Brush the top with butter and cut into pieces, only cutting 3/4 of the way to the bottom (leaving the bottom pastry layer uncut as much as possible). I tried to cut mine into diamonds but it didn't work out that well.  

Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 until the tops are light golden.


Immediately after removing from the oven drizzle the syrup over the top of the pastry. It might take a few minutes to soak in. 


Let them cool completely before taking them out of the pan. 

I took mine out of the pan and then place them on a rack above a cookie sheet in order to let any excess syrup drain. I only did this after they were COMPLETELY cooled and I knew they had absorbed the syrup as much as possible. I forgot to take a picture of this step and to be honest I'm not sure it was completely necessary. I just wanted to make sure that they didn't get soggy. And they're not, so I guess it worked out okay. 

I covered the leftovers loosely in tin foil and kept them in the fridge. They're better if you allow them to come to room temperature instead of eating them cold right out of the fridge.  I think they turned out okay, but I definitely missed the flaky layers between the nuts. Next time I'm at the grocery store I'm going to pick up some phyllo dough to try the real thing. 


3 comments:

  1. yay! thank you so much i had the same problem discovering i had puff pastry :( currently making my baklava now so fingers crossed it will turn out as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good! I'm so happy that I'm not the only one to do this :D Thanks for the recipe - seriously, a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have post an amazing blog about the procedure of baklava. I am sure this baklava pastry give wonderful taste. My mouth has become start watering after seeing this baklava. Also there are some amazing and yummy baklava which will give you such a great taste. And thank you author for your amazing post.

    ReplyDelete